Visitax: A Guide for Tourists Visiting Quintana Roo, Mexico
Quintana Roo, home to popular tourist destinations such as Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Tulum, has implemented a state-level tourist tax known as Visitax. This tax aims to generate revenue for tourism-related projects and community development initiatives within the state. In this comprehensive guide, we will provide essential information for tourists visiting Quintana Roo, helping you understand Visitax and navigate the process of paying the tourist tax efficiently during your stay.
Understanding Visitax in Quintana Roo
Visitax is a state-level tourist tax specifically applicable to visitors in Quintana Roo, Mexico. The tax is imposed to support local tourism infrastructure, environmental conservation, and community development initiatives within the state. By paying Visitax, tourists contribute to the sustainable growth and preservation of Quintana Roo's natural beauty and cultural heritage.
Who is Required to Pay Visitax?
All tourists visiting the state of Quintana Roo are required to pay Visitax. This includes visitors arriving by air, land, or sea. The tax is applicable to individuals aged 15 years and above. Mexican citizens, permanent residents, and children under 15 are exempt from paying Visitax.
Visitax Rate and Payment Options:
The Visitax rate in Quintana Roo is subject to change, so it is crucial to verify the current rate before your trip. As of September 2021, the tax rate was approximately $224 MXN pesos (about $12 USD) per person. Please note that the rate may have changed, and it is advisable to check the official Visitax website for the most up-to-date information.
Visitax Payment Process
You will be asked for the following information to proceed:
- The date you will be departing Cancun.
- How many people are in your group.
- First and last name of each person in your group.
- Birthdate of each person in your group.
- Passport number.
To pay Visitax in Quintana Roo, you have two primary options:
- Online Payment: Prior to your arrival in Quintana Roo, you can conveniently pay Visitax online through the official Visitax website or government portals. These platforms provide a secure payment gateway where you can calculate the tax amount and settle it using a credit or debit card. After successful payment, you will receive an electronic receipt, which you should keep for your records
- Airport Payment: If you haven't paid Visitax online, you can make the payment upon arrival at the airport. Designated Visitax kiosks are available in the immigration and customs areas, where you can settle the tax amount in cash or by credit/debit card. After payment, you will receive a receipt as proof of payment.
How do you get from Cancun Airport to Hotel Zone?
Travel with peace of mind with the experienced professionals.More information
Benefits of Visitax
Paying Visitax in Quintana Roo offers several benefits for tourists and the local community:
- Tourism Infrastructure: The revenue generated from Visitax is invested in improving tourism infrastructure, including transportation networks, public amenities, and tourist attractions. This enhances the overall visitor experience and contributes to the sustainable growth of the tourism industry in Quintana Roo.
- Environmental Conservation: Visitax funds support environmental preservation initiatives, such as beach cleanup projects, conservation efforts, and sustainable tourism practices. By paying the tax, tourists actively participate in preserving the stunning natural resources of Quintana Roo.
- Community Development: Visitax revenue is utilized for community development projects within Quintana Roo. This includes investments in education, healthcare, infrastructure improvements, and cultural preservation. By paying Visitax, tourists contribute directly to the well-being of local communities and help create a positive impact on their lives.
When visiting Quintana Roo, Mexico's renowned tourist destination with such beautiful places as Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres and the whole Riviera Maya, it is essential to understand and comply with the Visitax requirements. By paying the state-level tourist tax, you actively contribute to the sustainable development of Quintana Roo's tourism industry, preservation of its natural beauty, and the well-being of local communities.
Happy Shuttle Cancun is waiting to meet you at the airport! Any questions about Visitax Cancun? Send us an email and we’ll be happy to help as we book your Cancun and Riviera Maya private transportation in our magical home in the Mexican Caribbean
Hello, get 10% off on your transportation
Enter your Email and receive your exclusive promotional code!!
Still not sure to book your Cancun Airport Transportation? See what these Happy Shuttle Cancun customers are saying... 4.8 stars of 5, based on 5971 reviews